From my friend at A Presley in the Land of the Delta Blues, we have Pizza Roll-ups.
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
- 1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
1. In large skillet, cook beef; drain. Remove from heat. Add tomato sauce, cheese and oregano.
2. Separate crescent dough into 8 rectangles, pinching seams together. Place about 3 tbsp of meat mixture along on side of each rectangle. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut each roll into 3 pieces.
3. Place seams side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 15 min. or until golden brown.
It's not the easiest recipe to work with. It's messy, it only calls for 1/2lb of ground beef when most pre-packaged meat is 1lb, and don't get me started on trying to work with the dough after it warms up. But it's good, and it leaves plenty of space for experimentation! Replace the ground beef with pepperoni or sausage for a real pizza taste. Brush the crescent roll dough with garlic butter for garlic bread pizza. Add a wider variety of spices. Just be careful not to overcook the rolls. That was my minor hiccup with trying this recipe - not enough spice and slightly overcooked biscuits.When it's done, though, you have a delicious set of homemade pizza rolls for friends (and you, if you get any before they're all gone!) to share!
(We're...still working on the name for Tuesdays.)