Thursday, February 3, 2011

Webcomic Review: Looking For Group

Ever since I was a little girl, I loved comics. So when I was introduced to webcomics, it became a quick, constantly growing addiction. Today, I have over 100 I follow on a regular basis organized by update schedule. Reading them is the first thing I do in the morning, and sometimes the last thing I do at night. Starting today, many of my updates will be links to and reviews of various comics on the internet, and I'm starting off with one of the greats - Looking For Group.

Made through a collaboration between Ryan Sohmer (writer) and Lar deSouza (artist), Looking For Group parodies mainly MMORPGs, but throws in touches of anything and everything Geek, including but not at all limited to: D&D, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Dune, The Lion King, Discovery's infamous Boom-De-Yah-Dah song, even the Smurfs. The plot covers the enthralling adventure of Cale'Anon, an optimistic elf who is determined to throw off the stereotypes of his race as villains, but finds himself immediately teamed up with Richard, an undead warlock with a penchant for death, destruction, and endless humor, Benny (aka Gid), a troll priestess who's up to her neck in trouble, and Krunch Bloodrage, Benny's Tauren adoptive father and the balance to Cale's good and Richard's evil. Cale and Richard alone are the perfect odd couple of adventuring, and when combined with the rest of the series' colorful cast, they experience unparalleled character growth and depth. Joined by many others over the story, the cast encounter an adventure the quality of which would fit well alongside many well-loved fantasy epics, including Lord of the Rings and The Song of Ice and Fire series. Overall, Sohmer and deSouza combine serious and talented storytelling with an amazing sense of humor and high-quality art to make a fantasy epic webcomic that few others can compare to and many strive to be like.

Additional reader review - "Looking For Group is one of the most entertaining and addictive web comics that I’ve ever followed. The main character is irritating, yet lovable, and tends to grow on the reader as they follow him through his disaster-ridden quests. Its parodies and inside jokes are hilarious! There’s also Richard, who made me love undead warlocks in a way that should never be… I highly recommend this comic!" - Cat Sass, friend of Indeah and recently-turned LFG fan.

If you couldn't tell, I love this comic. I've been reading it since day one, and I'll continue to read it until it's done. Updating Mondays and Thursdays, it's one of my and Ravi's favorites. The characters are amazingly colorful, especially Richard. He's the undoubted fan favorite, to the point where the creators made plushies and figures of him, which sold out of their preorders within a day. They're supposedly working on a short feature film of the comic. Two trailers have been released for it, both parodying well-loved Disney tunes (Slaughter Your World and This Is War). It's been in the works for a while, but I continue to hold out hope for it - there's no doubt in my mind that it's going to be awesome, and you'll know when it does come out. Ravi will unleash the Squeal Heard Round The World.

TL/DR: Go read Looking For Group. Don't ask questions. Just go do it. Are you reading it yet? Why the hell not?

Happy rolling!

1 comment:

  1. Oddly enough I never realized this was a whole webcomic lol. I've watched several of Richard's youtube videos and loved those. "Slaughter Your World" is probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete